One thing that has become very clear to me in my Yoga Therapy practice is how disconnected we are from our bodies until something goes wrong.
I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Amy Sedgwick, one half of The Red Tent Sister. We chatted about her work as a holistic fertility practitioner, teaching women to become intimate with their body and its cycles. Although their focus is fertility, the lessons of paying attention to our bodies are Universal (yes guys, you too).
I came from a very liberal family and it took years, and a struggle with infertility for me to feel comfortable talking openly about my period and to recognize the phases of my cycle. In our culture, we are taught from a very young age to be embarrassed of our periods and disconnected from the treasure that lies between out legs. This treasure is not to be taken advantage of or taken for granted. Lets start by paying it a little attention!
In my interview with Amy we talk about :
- the disconnection women have with their bodies,
- the work she is doing to show women how to be more aware of their cycles,
- an incredible example about our cultural embarassment around mentruation,
- why body awareness and our cycles should be an integral part of education for young women (and its not!),
- how fertility awareness could be an incredibly option for women wanting to avoid hormonal birth control,
- and much more...
The Red Tent Sisters have an incredible library of resources that you can get can get access to through their website www.redtentsisters.com
Listen to my interview with Amy by clicking the link below.
I'd love to hear your story of body awareness. You can leave a comment or send me an email email@example.com